Dental implant surgery is a procedure whereby the tooth roots are replaced with screw-like metal posts. The process replaces missing or damaged teeth with artificial ones. These artificial tooth replacements look relatively real and function like one too. Dental implant surgery is a better alternative to getting bridgework or dentures, which may not fit securely in your mouth. This dental option also helps the lack of a natural tooth root that makes it challenging to build a denture tooth replacement or bridgework. You can visit the dental implants, Jonesboro services, for this procedure.
How does dental implant work?
If you are missing one or more of your teeth and will not want to have full or partial dentures or a bridge, then you should consider speaking to your dentist about the possibility of dental implants.
A dental implant provides a more natural tooth replacement compared to a denture. This is because it is an artificial tooth that is attached directly to the jawbone. To benefit from a dental implant, you must be in good health (that is, aside from missing some teeth). You must also have a healthy, fully developed jawbone and healthy gums, as these are needed to provide support for the implants.
Dental implants procedure
The surgery may come with several different procedures. The procedure used for dental implant surgery depends on the condition of your jawbone and the type of implant used.
If your doctor determines that you are healthy enough for dental implants, they will schedule the procedure.
The dental implants procedure may take several months to complete, as it involves three different phases. These are:
- Placing the implant: Placing the implant requires surgery to have the implant placed in the jaw. It is then covered with gum tissue, which integrates into the jawbone for about three to six months.
- Attaching the post: Next, the dentist attaches a post to the implant, which allows the gum tissue to grow around it. In some instances, the post and the implant happen simultaneously. Both serve as the anchor for the replacement tooth, whether or not the dentist places them at the same time.
- Attaching the crown: Finally, the dentist will attach a tailored to customized crown to the implant post.
What are the reasons to get dental implants?
You may need to get dental implants in Jonesboro for any of the following reasons:
- One or more missing teeth
- A jawbone that has reached its complete or full growth
- Enough jawbone to secure the implants as well as a bone graft
- A desire for healthy oral tissues
- Unwilling or unable to wear dentures
- A desire to improve your speech
- The willingness to commit the needed number of moths to the process
- Anyone who is not a tobacco smoker
However, it is essential to note that implants are not necessarily the right choice for everyone, especially pregnant women or people suffering from chronic illnesses; so, be sure to check in with your dentist for advice on what to do.
If you are looking for dental implants in Jonesboro, AR, do not hesitate to visit Walnut Ridge Dental Care.